NOTICE TO MEMBERS - UPDATE
Wednesday, July 10, 2019
Our partner Desjardins informed us in the afternoon of June 20, 2019, that the personal information of 2.9 million of their members was disclosed to individuals outside Desjardins. This situation was caused by a malicious employee at Desjardins, who has since been dismissed. Obviously, a police investigation is in progress.
154 UNI members are affected by this leak of personal information. UNI is currently contacting each of these members to inform them of the measures taken by Desjardins on behalf of UNI.
Moreover, some 4,230 mixed Desjardins/UNI members are also affected, but Desjardins is already handling their case.
Affected clients can rest assured that Desjardins is taking all the appropriate measures to minimize the impact, such as:
- They will suffer no financial losses in the event that unauthorized transactions were made in their accounts in relation to this incident.
- They will get to sign up for a five-year credit monitoring and identity theft insurance plan, free of charge. This service includes daily access to your credit report, activity alerts and identity theft insurance.
Only those concerned will receive the details of the support plan by mail.
If you receive a letter from our partner Desjardins
That means you're one of the impacted members. We're offering you 5 years of credit monitoring and identity theft insurance from Equifax at no charge to you.
- The service includes daily monitoring of your credit report, activity alerts and identity theft insurance.
- Your personal activation code is in the letter you received. You have until December 31, 2019, to activate the service on Equifax's website. The letter also provides Equifax’s telephone number for you to call should you require assistance using the activation code.
- Please note that you'll need an e-mail address to activate the service.
- To find out more about how to sign up for the Equifax monitoring service, see the Desjardins guide.
New options to sign up for the Equifax credit monitoring plan
Members may call our partner Desjardins at 1-800-224-7737 to activate their credit monitoring plan if they’re having problems signing up online or over the phone with Equifax. Soon, members who wish to do so will also have the option of signing up directly through AccèsD online or on the mobile app.
If you have questions or concerns, you can reach us at 1-800-224-7737 seven days a week between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.
Desjardins has confirmed that:
- The passwords of AccèsD users (individual and business members), security questions and PIN numbers have not been compromised.
- UNI and Desjardins are not victims of a cyberattack and their computer systems are not affected by this situation in any way.
However, look out for emails and text messages you may receive asking for personal information: Like Desjardins, UNI never sends unsolicited e-mails or text messages asking you for personal information.
Be on your guard!
We have become aware of an increased number of fraudulent e-mail messages, telephone calls and SMS/text messages appearing to come from UNI or Desjardins. The purpose of these communications is to damage your devices or obtain your personal information.
For your security, do not click on these messages. Instead, simply forward them to firstname.lastname@example.org and then delete them.
If you receive an unusual telephone call from someone claiming to represent UNI or Desjardins, do not provide any personal information, and hang up.
To learn more about cyber security and how to protect yourself against fraud in today’s digital world, please visit the Security section of our website.