You may be entitled to a supplemental pension plan (or pension fund) with your employer. When you leave this company (for reasons other than retirement), you can have the assets accumulated on your behalf transferred to a LIRA. You can then manage them yourself tax-free.
The assets are then transferred to a registered account at the Caisse. You cannot contribute to your LIRA, but you are free to make the investment choices that are right for you. Upon retirement, the LIRA will be converted into a Life Income Fund (LIF), which will then pay you a retirement income.
- Amounts are transferred from your former employer's pension plan.
- Upon death, the Locked-in Retirement Account (LIRA) balance is paid to the spouse or, in certain circumstances, to the heirs.
- Funds are unseizable.
- You can convert all or part of the LIRA to a pension or LIF at any time, no later than 71 years.
- Eligible investments
- Regular savings account
- Guaranteed fixed-rate investments
- Market-linked guaranteed investments
- Funds and investment solutions1
1. Mutual fund are sold and distributed by Acadia Financial Services Inc. Acadia Financial Services Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Financière Acadie Inc. which is itself a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Caisse populaire acadienne ltée. Commissions, trailing commissions, management fees and expenses all may be associated with mutual fund investments. Please read the prospectus or the Fund Facts before investing. Mutual funds are not guaranteed, their values change frequently and past performance may not be repeated. Unless otherwise stated, mutual fund securities and cash balances are not insured by the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation or by any other government deposit insurer that insures deposits in credit unions.